The 26th Infantry Regiment was organized in February 1901 at Fort McPherson, GA. It is the third unit to bear the designation-there was a 26th Infantry briefly activiated during the War of 1812 and another organized for a short time after the Civil War. The 26th Infantry joined the 1st Infantry Division in 1917 and has remained with the “Big Red One” continually, except for a stint as a U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command training unit. The 26th’s regimental colors carry 26 campaign streamers from the Philippines in the early 1900s to the winter-spring 1970 campaign in Vietnam. During World War II, the regiment took part in three amphibious assualts–North Africa, Sicily and Normandy.
Click here to read the full article
Article from Army, July 1997 edition,
written by Lt. Col. Austin E. (Bud) Miller AUS retired